Every Chief Data Officer (CDO), Head of Data Management, and Lead Data Steward has to find answers to several (if not all) of the following questions:
- What are the latest trends and best practices in data management and analytics and how do they impact our daily activities?
- How mature is my data organization?
- How can I implement a successful data & analytics governance framework within my organization?
- How can I improve the quality of our data?
- What are the emerging technologies and tools in data management, and how can they be leveraged to improve efficiency and effectiveness?
- How can I develop a data-driven culture within my organization?
- How can I ensure compliance with sustainability reporting requirements?
- What are some successful case studies or use cases in data management and analytics, and how can I apply them to my own organization?
- How can I introduce data product thinking in my organization?
- What are the challenges and opportunities in leveraging artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) for data management and analytics?
Admittedly, it's unrealistic to expect oneself to possess a full comprehension of every question posed in the realm of data management.
While trend reports can assist with priority setting, and frameworks can assist with activity structuring, successfully implementing data strategies and governance concepts remains an arduous task.
Fortunately, expert and research communities offer a valuable resource for data professionals, providing a host of benefits such as:
- Access to up-to-date industry insights: An expert and research community can help data leaders and managers stay informed about the latest data trends and emerging technologies and discuss their implications.
- Learning from peers: By participating in an expert and research community, data leaders and managers can learn from their peers' experiences and insights. They can gain valuable knowledge and perspectives that can help them improve their data management strategies and practices.
- Networking opportunities: Expert and research communities can provide data leaders and managers with opportunities to network and connect with other professionals in their field. They can build relationships and collaborate on projects, which can lead to new ideas and innovations.
- Access to resources: Expert and research communities provide members with access to a wealth of resources, including research reports, white papers, webinars, and other educational materials. These resources can help data leaders and managers stay informed about the latest trends and developments in their field.
- Professional development: By participating in an expert and research community, data leaders and managers can improve their own professional development. They can learn new skills, gain valuable experience, and enhance their knowledge, which can lead to career advancement and greater job satisfaction.
Several studies outline the benefits of such communities at the intersection of industry and academia (Österle & Otto, 2010, Pentek & Legner, 2020). A prominent example is the Competence Center Corporate Data Quality (CC CDQ) - a research consortium and Europe's leading expert community for data management. Widely-accepted research results of the CC CDQ are - among others - the Data Excellence Model (DXM) and the CDQ Data Strategy Canvas. Most importantly, in this expert group, the idea of Data Sharing was born and nurtured - finally resulting in CDQ's Data Quality as a Service solution for collaborative data management.
Currently, the CC CDQ research team and data experts from ~20 multi-national organizations work on the following topics:
- Managing and using data products
- Scaling data & analytics governance
- Data excellence for sustainability
If you want to learn more about the CC CDQ or participate in our research activities and exchange activities, contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Get our monthly e-mail!
Some call this approach 'Interenterprise MDM', some call it 'Collaborative Master Data Management', but the benefits of data sharing go beyond names. CDQ is the…
Step into the world of master data management with our CDQ Data Sharing Community workshop, held on April 19-20 in Düsseldorf. Over two invigorating days, 45…